On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 09:36, Radek Zajkowski wrote:
> Here is a problem, I could not get the X to run from the packages on my
> machine. It either would not configure, hang during configuration or refuse
> to accept my settings. I am not an advanced user, therefore I often have no
> facility to trace these kind of issues.
>
> As a result I downloaded the binaries of Xfree and it runs as a charm. I
> compiled Emacs and my crappy pentium200 is now a bit more friendly, or at
> least it offers the alternative to terminal.
>
> Although initially this was a matter of curiosity, X runs very smoothly and
> I would like to keep it, and enrich it with more software.
>
> The problem I have created here is rather obvious, the package manager
> doesn't know I have X libraries on my system and therefore, anything
> requiring Xlibs will not install, since it forces the dependecies to be
> configured as well. You probably get the rest of the story.
>
> I would like to find out from you some of the experiences and tactics you
> might be employing when dealing with the package systems. Is it packages or
> sources all the way, or are hybribds a common thing?

Before we can help you:
1. What version of Debian are you using?
2. What version of XFree were you having the problems with?
3. Were there errors in .xsession.errors?
4. Did you verify that the version of XFree that you tried to install
   had drivers for your video card?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| Spit in one hand, and wish for peace in the other.            |
| Guess which is more effective...                              |