On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 13:15, Kirk Strauser wrote:
> At 2003-03-10T18:25:06Z, Ron Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > I bet RAID0 would be even faster.  Yes, yes, fragile...
>
> Not for concurrent reads.  If a file spans more than one physical disk, then
> at least two drives have to be reading from the same region at the same
> time.  With RAID1, you can have multiple simultaneous reads from different
> physical locations.

Why wouldn't you get parallel reads, especially if you do async IO?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| Spit in one hand, and wish for peace in the other.            |
| Guess which is more effective...                              |