On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 12:39, Hugh Saunders wrote:

> IMHO the installer is fine but i tend to just let it install the base
> system then i do the rest -installing and configuring with apt and vim
> :-)

I'm sure (pretty sure) that would work fine - once you know what's going
on. But to the Debian newbie (me, for instance) who doesn't know where
which config files are; whether the system is lpd, LPRng, or CUPS; where
the web files live; where the startup files are or how they work; knows
next to nothing about the package mechanism(s); etc, the learning curve
can be steep.

I ran into what looked like a total dead end when the system ran a
useless X program when I asked to configure X - I know now that it isn't
a dead end, but I couldn't tell from where I was. I can think of better
ways for a program to deal with the situation.

> the best modification i can think of to the installer would be to use
> grub not lilo but thats just my opinion

The main reason I'm beating my head against this wall is because Debian
*doesn't* do things like replace LILO with GRUB. Things take a while;
possibly because there's nobody available to do them, but I'd like to
think it's more because the powers that be are more careful about
introducing the latest bleeding edge GUI toy (not to imply that GRUB is
a toy).

--
Glenn English
[EMAIL PROTECTED]