I am having similar problems with a cable modem connection.  I haven't been
able to determine the exact size, but one or two large files have the same
effect as several (usually more than 10) messages.  Fetchmail indicates it is
ready to receive, waits (for nothing), and then eventually gives up because the
server doesn't reply.  The FAQ suggests there is a problem in my networking
layer, but I have no way of figuring out what that is.

A look through Google suggests that part of the problem may be the server.

You may want to switch to IMAP from POP, though that did not help me.

Good luck

Cam

--
Cam Ellison Ph.D. R.Psych.