On Saturday 10 November 2001 19:03, Stan Brown wrote:
> OK, I'v got the bug.
>
> I'm siting here thinking about giving my stero system (medium high end) a
> computer for Christmas :-)
>
> Seroiousl what have people done for computers used promarliy as a steror
> system component? Seems to me tahe niose sheidling would be priority No.1,
> followed closely by a reasonably compact design, and then, a failry smalle,
> but usuable display.

My system is made up with rackmount units so I used a rackmount PC, I doubt
that'll be sutible for you though, I duno what the case is it was from a
computer fair.

For a small PC try the Asus Terminator I've got the P-III version it's small,
quiet & everything is supported in linux. I'm using it to write this email.
This thing runs 24/7 with a half speed P-III 866 (no need for fan on the HS),
512Mb PC-133 & the latest Seagate HDD, I've changed the fan in mine for
something quiter. It's no speed demon but it's not slow either.
http://www.digit-life.com/articles/asusterminator/

The Shuttle SV24 is better looking, smaller, but louder as it uses a 60mm
fan, the asus uses a slow 92mm fan. I think the only thing that is slighly
suspect is the audio but its got a PCI slot so that can be solved.
http://www.tech-report.com/reviews/2001q4/shuttle-sv24/index.x?pg=1

Noise isn't too much of a problem with these things, the Asus with just it's
2mm fan runs cool and is almost silent.

Ani