On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 11:09:48AM +0100, Thomas Halahan wrote:
> i) What database would you use (server will be debian but
> there will be at least one windows machine off of it).

Postgres.

> ii) In what language would you write the administrators
> screen for data entry and sales reports.

Perl modules on the back end with the front end either done as perl
CGI scripts (or apache modules) if you want a web interface or
perl/tk if you want a local GUI app.  Or write both (CGI for online,
tk for in-shop).  As long as you keep the logic in the back-end
modules and out of the UI, keeping them in sync will be pretty
simple.  And it'll work with just about any OS either way.

> iii) How should the shop browsing be organised, and
> similarly the online ISP browsing.   Clearly it would be
> easier if I were to mirror the online website with one in
> the shop.

As was mentioned earlier, there's not much point in having
non-real-time stock information.  You may as well just make the
online version be a plain catalog and leave out the stock levels
unless you can tie it directly into the real database.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Mr. Slippery