On Wed, 2001-11-14 at 13:39, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> HELP!
>
> This is driving me absolutely positively mad.
>
> I have a Netgear F? 310TX network card, which is a PNIC 82c168 (tulip clone).
>
> I *cannot* get this card to run reliably on the latest Debian stable
> (2.2.Rev4).

As you note, these are common cards, and the tulip is by far the best
widespread ethernet controller.  So, why are you having problems with
yours? :)

I'm using these cards in machines running 2.4 without problems.  The
only thing that strikes me about your problem is that it seems related
to autonegotiation of speed and duplex settings.  I presume that your
card is attached to an autonegotiating switch.  If so, try disabling the
autonegotiation and lock the port at 100, full duplex.  If the switch
cannot do that, lock your NIC to 100, full duplex.  I think you can use
module parameters for this.

I don't think there is any reason to go with old_tulip; the new driver
is fine.  If it is possible, go with the latest kernel revision
(2.4.14).

There is a linux-tulip mailing list if you get really frustrated.

-jwb

tulip0:  MII transceiver #1 config 3100 status 7829 advertising 01e1.
eth0: Lite-On 82c168 PNIC rev 32 at 0xc000, 00:C0:F0:4F:0E:24, IRQ 12.