Thus spake dman:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 04:58:11PM -0800, Mark Seven Smith wrote:
>
> | ATI Rage 128 video card
>
> [removed all other peripherals too]
>
> | WHY I BELIEVE THE VIDEO CARD IS AT FAULT:
> | Basically, Red Hat Linux 6.1 also had this problem--I had
> | to get RH7.1 (with the newer XFree86 stuff on it) before I
> | could install.  I am using RH7.1 right now.
>
> I agree with you, it sounds like you vid. card is bad.  I've installed
> RH6.2 with no problems at all on a machine at work with a Rage 128
> card.  The only problem is that I didn't get X4 working (and I know
> X3 doesn't support it well), but it is mostly used for testing anyways
> so I didn't spend any more time on it.
>
> | It still seems *VERY ODD* that the ATI Rage 128 will not
> | work in the lowest of text video compatibility modes.  I
> | Suppose this is why the stupid card was foisted on me in
> | the first place (I had gone to purchase a different card,
> | but was given this one instead, "at a discount", and they
> | assured me that it was "fully compatible with Linux"!)  Now
> | I read at various places around the web, all the
> | difficulties folks have had with the ATI Rage 128 card.
>
> If you use the framebuffer stuff, configuring X is a piece of cake.
> For most cards you lose performance, but it works well and gives a
> nicer looking console too.
>
> | Also, the ATI Rage 128 card is not listed in the hardware
> | compatibility list on the Debian site.
>
> That list may only refer to potato (X3) or it may be outdated, I don't
> know.
You might have a bad card, but it certainly works fine here - I have a
Rager 128 Pro running X4 under Woody - took some figuring out, but it
runs OpenGL pretty quick, doesn't lock up, and is generally quite a
nice card.  Don't despair just yet.
Good luck,
Steve

--
It is easier to run down a hill than up one.