On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 01:17:29PM -0800, David Wright wrote:
> (Whatever happened to the very intelligent policy of configuring
> programs in /bin in /etc, configuring programs in /usr/bin in /usr/etc,
> and configuring programs in /usr/local/bin in /usr/local/etc?!)

Wouldn't really help any, given that stuff from /usr and /usr/local
may still require host-specific information in its configuration.
Which would just make things worse, really, since you would then be
unable to just mount all of /usr safely.

> I have also thought of trying to make the workstations diskless and
> using DHCP -- but then how can I give each machine a fixed name and IP
> address?

DHCP can assign them based on MAC address.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Mr. Slippery