On Thursday 15 November 2001 21:03, spear wrote:
> Hi there !
>
> I was wondering : a few weeks ago, i contacted Steve Schaffer from
> Progeny, about the graphical installation process of the Progeny
> Debian, wondering if they would let it to our community ...
> He said yes ...
>
> So, did anybody hear about it's amelioration, and, maybe, future
> integration in our favorite distribution ?
>
> Even if, once you installed it many times, it seems easy, i force
> myself not to forget how lost i felt when i installed it for the
> first time (not very " inspiring " procedure when you come from
> Mandrake).
>
> So, let's have the choice of installing by the old way we know (and
> i'll keep on using it), but open our Debian to a more " end user "
> world by helping people to join our community " more easily " ...
>
> What do you think ? Does anyone know if our developers intend to put
> a graphical install one day (not criticizing, they work har, just
> wondering) ?

If by graphical you mean putting (up with) X window cruft in the
installer, then I think the proposal in this thread is a bad idea. The
Debian installer, as it is, is already graphical. In theory you can get
your pet chicken install Debian. Adding 10's of MB's of graphicons to
the installer will wipe out Debian's main advantage as a Net-based
distribution.

Among the major distros it requires the smallest download to get a
fairly functional installation. I can connect to the Net in under 30
MB's as against the necessity of downloading a whole 650 MB cdrom image
for Mandrake and friends -- and woe, if you have the misfortune of
downloading a corrupt image (a recent sad experience).

Oh, sure, tell me to buy Cheapbytes. But not everybody owns a credit
card or lives in North America. I can think of a better inspiration:
the bootable business card.

http://lnx-bbc.org/

--
Sir Isaac Newton:
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."