The client is the one running Debian, it is an old laptop with not much ram so I had to use Slink (2.1)

Why?? Potato or woody should run smoothly on it as well. Linux is not Windows where you need more PC power for a new version. You have the choice on how you use your computer.

I want to collect email from my mail server and also my isp.

I have fetchmail, sendmail and pine running and it is almost working, but not quite.

I came across a page ont he web which expalins how to do what I want to do, BUT it says I need sendmail and sendmailcf

I have sendmail but not the sendmailcf, I looked on redhat and they have it.

That's the configuration file. You can create it e. g. using m4 macros. see man sendmail. Don't know wether Debian has it's own configuration util for sendmail. I use exim wich is the default on Debain.

It works but all the mail goes into one root file, I want to break it up into 1 file per message.

Pine can't handle it at the moment, I am opretty sure because it is all one file.

AFAIK that is normal.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks.

Frank