On Thursday 22 November 2001 13:08, Chris Savoie wrote:
> i install Linux

Welcome!
So far so good...

> and im stuck at a screen saying
> <:Chris~#
> or sompthing, i need to get past that, into the Shell, is there not one
> present or sompthing? if you cant tell this is my first time with linux and
> no friends that know much about it either. please help

What you've encountered *IS* the shell. But I suspect that you're looking for
a GUI. If you installed the 2.2 version you should be able to use the command
'tasksel' at the command line to select the X windowing system (it's at the
bottom of the list), which is a GUI.

Or you could supply a few more details first.