Rather than upgrade a running system, you might try this:

        a)Back everything up
        b)Back it up again on different media
        c)Confirm that your backup is good*
        d)Run "dpkg --get-selections > installed.packages.txt.
          SAVE THAT FILE

        d)Repartition and reformat the hard drive(s)
        e)Install Woody "clean"
        f)run "dpkg --set-selections < installed.packages.txt

That's essentially what I did when upgrading from Potato to Progeny Newton.

*Yes, I'm paranoid about backups.  Most ex-network managers are.
--
Carl Fink               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Manager, Dueling Modems Computer Forum