nate <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> - compile openssh and install to /usr/local/openssh (what i do)
>
> i prefer having apps in their own directory so i can just rm -rf
> them when i want to remove them instead of hunting them down in 10
> different places.

If you'd like to easily have links to it in /usr/local/bin,
/usr/local/man/man1 etc, have a look a package 'stow'. I install all
my locally compiled software in directories under /usr/local/stow and
have stow make the links needed.

$ apt-cache show stow
Package: stow
Section: admin
Installed-Size: 284
Maintainer: Guillaume Morin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Architecture: all
Version: 1.3.2-14
Depends: perl
Suggests: doc-base
Filename: pool/main/s/stow/stow_1.3.2-14_all.deb
Size: 58126
MD5sum: cee7ec17bd3eef39060823ebaecea93f
 GNU Stow helps the system administrator organise files under /usr/local/
 by allowing each piece of software to be installed in its own tree under
 /usr/local/stow/, and then using symlinks to create the illusion that
 all the software is installed in the same place.

Suonpää...