>From reading about xinetd lately, I thought I'd like to try using it
instead of the traditional inetd.

However, I find that the netbase package, on which almost all networking
software seems to depend, even if only indirectly, depends on
netkit-inetd. So it seems to be impossible to remove inetd without lying
to the package system, which I strongly dislike doing. Am I right about
this?

Since xinetd doesn't actually conflict with inetd, I suppose I could
simply have both installed, and find some way to disable inetd. What's
the best way to do that? My usual trick in the past has been to put
"exit 0" at the top of the appropriate /etc/init.d script, which
probably isn't ideal.

Also, if I install a package for a service that wants to run from inetd,
presumably its install script will add a line to /etc/inetd.conf. How
likely is it that such a package will know what to do to configure
xinetd? If the answer to this is "Not likely at all,", then I'll
probably just stick with inetd...

Thanks,

Craig