I am running testing with kernel 2.4.12. Get this...

debian:/home/ichbin# apt-get install tar
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  build-essential cpio debhelper debmake devscripts dh-make dpkg-dev
  initrd-tools kernel-image-2.4.12-k6
1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 9 to remove and 11  not upgraded.
Need to get 492kB of archives. After unpacking 23.7MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
Abort.

Whatsup with that?! The bug database for tar seems to indicate that a recent conflict with cpio has been resolved, but I'd say a conflict with my kernel is much more serious. I am not able to trace the path of incompatibility. Does anyone know what's going on here?