On Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 03:31:13PM +0100, COLPAERT, Koen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an old (sic) Siemens Scenic 510 laptop on which I installed Storm
> Linux 2000. Since this no longer exists I would like to migrate to the
> regular Debian. I know everything works because I installed r2.2 (august
> 2000) in the past and everything worked fine. The trouble is I now have
> a working linux-box and I hate the idea I have to configure it all over
> again.
> I know there are procedures foor Libranet and Progeny to have an
> automatic migration to Debian. Does anybody know if this exists for
> Storm Linux too?
> --
> Koen Colpaert
> Brussels, Belgium
>
> --- On the requirements it said: Windows 95 or better - so I installed
> Linux ---

hello,

i have two boxes, both that were storm installs - i had storm cd's and
not 'net connection! my box on the 'net (now) was a storm install that i
changed the sources.list to point to potato, then apt-get
dist-upgraded.... or was it just an upgrade? i guess it should have been
a dist-upgrade, but i think i just did apt-get upgrade.
my box at home, which is offline (ironically), was a storm install and
is now running woody!
the only big issue you'll need to watch out for is gnome... storm uses
helix gnome... which i have on hold on my potato box. at home, i just
pruged gnome and installed the gnome from debian's servers instead.

you should have an example of a sources.list in:

/usr/share/doc/apt/examples/sources.list

make a backup of your current list then copy the new one into /etc/apt/
in it's place. remember to apt-get update then apt-get upgrade. i later
learned of the -s option with apt... simulation. try an

apt-get -s upgrade

and see what it will do.

good luck,
jason