On Fri, 2001-12-07 at 03:00, Alec wrote:
> On Thursday 06 December 2001 11:41 pm, dman wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 11:21:41PM -0500, Alec wrote:
> > | Hi
> > |
> > | I have a program that produces output to STDOUT and will probably take
> > | several days to run. I already figured that it's better to run it using
> > | "at" utility and collect the results by email. This way the program will
> > | not be bound to any specific terminal and, say crashing X, will not
> > | interrupt it.
> >
> > Why not just
> >
> >     $ the_app > output_file &
> >
> > and then read the file when it is done (or any time in between if you
> > want partial answers or indication of progress)
>
> the program does not produce much useful output until it's finished.

nohup prog < infile  > resfile 2>&1 &

is the usual way to go. And since several month uptime is quite normal
for for a linux box this rather short program (a few days) should have
no problem. I commonly run programs which use up to 2 monthes of cpu on
a AMD 850MHz  and never had any problem.

Michel.