Hello deb comunity,

I have just compiled my first custom kernel image using kernel package while
sticking to the instructions found in /usr/doc/kernel-package/README.gz

Generally success, it boots and works, however I wish to have answered a few
questions.

a) instruction says to use fakeroot to make-kpkg
this did not work form me, I had to be root, WHY?

b) I used original kernel config and after compilation the image differs by
few kilobytes, WHY, I was hoping to get exactly same image

c) when installed and booted 1st time it complained about few unsatisfied
module dependencies, it was resolved by 2nd boot, WHY?, did I have to run
depmod beforehand?

P.S. I am on 2.2.19pre17 potato.

Your help is appreciated.
Thanx