> When I use -fs -vo x11, it opens in fullcreen, but the movie is still
> the same size located in the midlle of the screen, surrounded by black
> color.

One workaround, albeit a cheesy one, is to just run in X11 fs mode and
then just CTRL-ALT-- to a lower res to make the image appear larger.

Are you sure that SDL compiled OK? Check the output when you run
./configure to see if SDL is flagged properly.  Do you have the correct
libsdl development packages/files installed? Also, try playing the movie
as root to see if that makes a difference.  Could be a permissions
problem...

cheers,
Matt