I'm switching to 2.4 to try and sort out some other problems (with
sound).

Under 2.2.18 my Intellimouse explorer would work with GPM, from what I
gather the usbmouse driver would translate everything into a standard
PS/2 format because gpm.conf was still using /dev/psaux and everything
worked (even though the mouse was in the USB port).

Under 2.4 this doesn't work. I tried to point gpm to /dev/usbmouse but
no chance. Loaded modules are input, usbmouse and mousedev.

What settings should I be using in gpm.conf and what modules need to be
loaded?

(I'm using /dev/gpmdata for X so if I get gpm working, X works)

Thanks,
-D