* This one time, at band camp, Kerstin Hoef-Emden said:

> On 26 Dec 2001, Jens Müller wrote:
>
> > > Ssh tunnels X, if you start it with option -X (at least under potato).
> >
> > I did slogin -X localhost, but the X programms I start hang (without
> > any output on the console).
>
> You've got the impression that it tries to tunnel X11 but somehow
> something doesn't work out?

I can concur with the findings of the original poster.  My DISPLAY
variable is set correctly after I ssh into a remote machine
(remotemachinename:10.0)

This behaviour is seen in debian->debian, debian->solaris etc, etc.  The
common ground being debian as the client side.  X is working fine as I
can set the DISPLAY var to the localmachine name (localmachine:0.0) and
xhost the remote name/ip and things work.

I've removed the 'tcp nolisten' from the xserverrc just in case - but no
different.

Debugging (strace xlogo) showed a problem with .Xauthority on the remote
machine.  I tried removing that file manually (since I knew it would be
recreated) and logged out and in again.... it worked!

If you still encounter the problem let me know, maybe its something
different.  I'll try to recreate the scenario - but I'm guessing maybe
some problem when .Xauthority was amended/created that maybe is fixed in
a later version.

Been bugging me for a while - thanks for giving me the push to find the
cause! :-)

HTH

Greeno
--
Greeno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
GnuPG Key :  1024D/B5657C8B

Imagine working in a secure environment and finding the string
_NSAKEY in the OS binaries without a good explanation
    -Alan Cox 04/05/2001