On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Vaughan, Curtis wrote:

> I am wondering what other Debian Users recommend for an email client
> program.
>
> First, let me state the needs of our company.  We are currently very MS
> based at present.  The goal has been set to slowly move over to Linux.
> Debian has been chosen, as it is the most stable that I am aware of.  Of
> course, I don't know a hell of a lot yet.

what's the goal of the change over?  money?  a general MS disliking?

if it's a money issue, have you looked into MS's terminal server?  You can
use this in conjunction with linux boxes (do a search on freshmeat for
"rdesktop").  That way all the software that you haven't foudn
replacements for runs on the terminal server.

> I have tried out a number of email client programs, but am not satisfied by
> any one of them.  I have tried out, KMail, Evolution, Netscape and Mozilla,
> oh and the email client program with StarOffice.  Each one has something
> good about it, but none of them are as good as Outlook.  One of the big
> problems might be the fact that I don't know how to configure them, of
> course.

Evolution is close to being rolled out the door, though it doesn't offer
the same kind of group-centric functions as Outlook, it's on its
way...Mozilla is in fact differnt from Netscape - it is the next
generation browser from [some] of the same authors as Netscape.  It has
it's own problems, and I generall prefer to use stand-alone applications
vs. all-in-one.

> One of the big problems is that people will need to read and send mail in
> English and Russian.  I'm trying to recall, but I don't think I could get
> StarOffice and KMail to permit Russian.  Actually I could write in Russian
> in KMail provided I opened a letter that was already in Russian and composed
> my letter in that letter.  Understand?

have you tried this with Evolution?

> So, I'm what other programs people use and find to be very good.  I haven't
> tried Pine, but I don't think I could get our users to go over to a non-GUI
> program.

I use pine for all of my mail, but for regular users, there is quite a
learning curve, and it doesn't offer any of the shceduling properties of
Outlook.

Your best bet right now is probably Evolution, though, having personally
tried it, it doesn't play nice with all of Outlook/Exchanges features...

again...the main question is "why?".

-lev