On Tue, Dec 25, 2001 at 03:25:09PM -0500, David Teague wrote:
> I LIKE emacs. We were using vi as our only text editor with System V
> machines in the late 80s. I found and installed Emacs, within one
> week everyone on my faculty was using emacs.

Given a 1980s-era vi, I'd probably have gone for emacs too. Unbound
cursor keys, single-level undo, counter-intuitive screen updates with
'c', no backspace across line endings or even the point where you
started the current round of insertion, etc.

Fortunately vi implementations like vim have moved on considerably since
then. While they share vi's basic interface, its heritage of user
interface bugs is barely recognizable. I find traditional vi quite a
mental jolt now.

You can even have vim start up in insert mode, with graphical menus and
a completely different set of keybindings, and generally act like a less
buggy version of Windows Notepad now if you so choose, although it's not
a set-up I like myself.

--
Colin Watson                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]