Thus spake wsa on Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 12:56:06PM +0100:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just trying to build my second kernel...
> Last time i did it, the kernel-how-to way, resulted in a few module dep
> errors...
> So i've searched the web and also came across this one:
> http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.en.html
>
> Now what would be the best way to go about building a new kernel and are
> the instructions on that site correct?

They worked for me.
If they're not correct, feel free to report the bugs to the author.
The documentation is also available as a debian package.
(apt-get install newbiedoc)

However, note that make-kpkg does not help you *configure* your
kernel, it just ensures that the build process and installation
are sane.
It *does* make it easier to play with external modules (such as
nvidia, or i2c and lm-sensors) provided you download the debian
package instead of the upstream release.

> And is kpkg only suitable for debian sources...or could i use this method
> with
> the latest stable 2.4.x.x kernel sources if i ever feel the need to go
> wild:)

make-kpkg needs some debian-specific stuff, but
debian's kernel-source packages are usually uploaded a few days (2/3)
after the official kernel release. Which, after the 2.4.15 fiasco, seems a
reasonnable thing to do :)

HTH,
Romain
--
Q:      What's the difference between Bell Labs and the Boy Scouts of America?
A:      The Boy Scouts have adult supervision.