On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 04:37:52PM -0800, Dennis Krinke,,, wrote:

| >To understand _why_ this stops gdm from starting on boot read up on
| >how SysV init works.
|
| OK, I browsed man sys(8) init.
| That did help a little.
| Perhaps that plus other reading and more time
| will help more...

Here's a hint :

The first character of the filename is either "S" (start) or "K"
(kill) and the next two are digits specifying order.

By making the first three characters "not" the file doesn't follow
that pattern and is ignored by init.  I like doing it that way because
it describes in english what I did, and it preserves the link and the
other info stored in its name.

-D

--

The crucible for silver and the furnace for gold,
but the Lord tests the heart.