Hi,

I've read most that i could find about firewalling/masqing/ipchains etc..
It's not all completely clear yet but i'm getting there...i think.
I have to say that i find this one of the biggest barriers of being comphy with linux. I'm runnning a dual boot with XP and although the goal is to ditch windows all together and stick with linux at least with windows and tiny personal firewall i know "nothing" is
gonna get past.

With linux i don't really get it...i have my own machine connected to the web via cable and it acts as a router for another machine which is connected via a cross cable to a second
NIC in my PC...

For the sake of the argument lets say i installed some linux thing which has a spyware feature, collects info on my system and sends it home via port 80....which in my ruleset
is an allowed port because i need that port for the web.
How would i ever block such a thing(without knowing in advance that it will call home and to which adress it will connect)....and how would i even find out that app actually
did something i dind't like.
In other words....is there such a thing as allowing defined applications to communicate
while keeping the door closed for other apps unless i ass a rule for that app.
And if there is no such thing....why not...
Or am i totally missing the point and still too much in a windows state of mind?

Cheers,
Willem