I installed Potato from CDs, and have since done an apt-get dist-upgrade
to woody, and have been following woody since (with apt-get upgrade and
install as needed when new packages arrived).  I've recently noticed
that I appear to be using X version 4.1, as shown by this partial output
from dpkg -l:

ii  xdm            4.1.0-11       X display manager
ii  xfree86-common 4.1.0-11       X Window System (XFree86) infrastructure
ii  xfs            4.1.0-11       X font server
ii  xlib6g         4.1.0-11       pseudopackage providing X libraries
ii  xlibs          4.1.0-11       X Window System client libraries
ii  xserver-common 4.1.0-11       files and utilities common to all X servers
ii  xserver-common-v3 3.3.6-42       files and utilities common to XFree86 3.x
ii  xserver-svga   3.3.6-42       X server for SVGA graphics cards
ii  xterm          4.1.0-11       X terminal emulator
ii  xutils         4.1.0-11       X Window System utility programs
ii  xvfb           4.1.0-11       virtual framebuffer X server

I figured that the two v 3.3.6 packages (note that I've added the "-v3"
to the appropriate line, that was quite confusing for a while) were
obsolete, and deleted them (while X was not running).  Ha!  xdm wouldn't
start!  I put them back and now all is well again.  It appears that xdm
was trying to start /etc/X11/X which is a symlink to
/usr/bin/X11/XF86_SVGA, which comes from xserver-svga v 3.3.6.

So, all is working again, but I think I'm running some weird 3.3.6/4.1
crossbreed which worries me.  I'd like to be able to get rid of the
3.3.6 stuff.  My video card is an NVIDIA Riva TNT Model 64, which 3
didn't support directly (hence the svga).  Does 4 support this directly,
and how do I configure it to use it?

Thanks!