>From Deryk Barker on Tuesday, 2003-03-18 at 13:26:51 -0800:
> Thus spake Conrad Newton ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):
>
> > My only problem in setting up CUPS was that the drivers for my
> > printer (Epson Stylus Color 800) did not work.  I saw something
> > in the manual about difficulties with long parallel port cables
> > (mine is 3m), but this had never been a problem before.
>
> Hmmm. I used to use my Stylus Color 850 quite succesfully (until the
> damn thing broke). Now using a Styls C82, also installed via CUPS in
> around 30 seconds.
>
> Tip: use the web interface to CUPS, it's so much easier.

I did use the web interface.  I may have been too impatient.
Probably I should have experimented more with different drivers.
In my defense, I can only say that I was using the recommended
driver for my printer, so it should have worked.  I suppose
I could have experimented with a shorter cable.

But I half suspect that the Epson Stylus Color 800 is less well
supported because it is an older printer.  The 850 and the C82
are more recent, so it is perhaps not surprising that they are
less problematic.

Conrad