On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 02:14:43AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> in the debian new maintainer's guide:

debian-mentors is probably a better mailing list.

> chapter 3:
>
>   Note that if your program uses GNU automake and/or autoconf, meaning
>   the source includes Makefile.am and/or Makefile.in files,
>   respectively, you will need to modify those files.
>
> chapter 3, section 3.1:
>
>   Basically, you need to make the program install in debian/tmp, but
>   behave correctly when placed in the root directory, ie when installed
>   from the .deb package.  With programs using GNU autoconf, this will be
>   quite easy, because dh_make will set up commands for doing that
>   automatically.
>

> these two statements seem contradictory.  to get the program to install
> in debian/tmp, can dh_make automatically do this for you when the
> upstream package uses autoconf or not?

The first paragraph refers to modifying upstream source in general. For
installing in a subdirectory you don't need to modify the source unless
it's written badly.

> also, section 5.4 (on man pages) isn't very clear.  the author simply
> says he wrote a manpage, but doesn't say what he had to do to get the
> manpage in the package.   did he simply replace debian/manpage.1.ex by
> what he wrote?  or did he have to run dh_installman?

Files in debian/ don't get installed by magic. :) You have to use
dh_installmanpages or dh_installman (read their respective man pages for
the differences) or install it into debian/tmp yourself.

> one of the problems i've run into is that the package i'm trying to
> debianize comes with a manpage that gets installed by the upstream make
> process.  lintian didn't seem to recognize this and reported that the
> binary has no manpage in my deb package.

It probably isn't in the right place. Use 'dpkg -c' on the .deb to find
out where it got installed.

--
Colin Watson                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]