On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 11:56:19AM -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Here is a somewhat off-topic question :
>
> You know all those nice CD vendors that have a donation checkbox for
> Debian.  How do I know they are really donating the money ?  And if
> they sell Debian CD's why aren't they _required_ to have a donation
> checkbox ?

Because that would be placing a limitation on distributing the
software, which would be a violation of Debian's principles (and the
GPL as well).

> More packages, more complexity - without bringing in additional
> resources will Debian start to falter ?

Developers are the primary resource that Debian runs on.  Has the
number of active developers been increasing or decreasing recently?
(I don't know where to find this out, but I'm fairly confident that
it's increasing, and most likely increasing at least as quickly as
the number of packages.)

> Is there some equitable way
> of charging to help with that ?  Practically speaking it doesn't look
> like there is.

And yet the available resources increase without any charges being
imposed...

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss