In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Jack Pistachio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>I'm having some trouble setting up an Epson Stylus Color
>880 USB printer on my linux system.  I've compiled a new
>2.4.17 kernel since the 'older' 2.2.x kernels do not have
>much in the way of USB support without a patch (or so I've
>heard).  Seems to be working fine and my OHCI USB port can
>detect and talk primitively with the printer (i.e. it shows
>up in /proc/bus/usb/devices).
>However I can't print.  Tried using LPD and LPRng with
>magicfilter and apsfilter but I'm not sure which filter
>specifically is best with the printer. I doubt that is even
>the problem since I can only get anything printed by using
>'cat file.txt > /dev/lp0' when the printer is on the
>parallel port instead of the USB.  I tried a similiar
>command with the USB and I get nothing.  Has anybody
>installed an Epson USB printer that can give me some
>suggestions or pointers on what they had to do?  Thanks.

Hi Jack,

I had similar problems. I now use 2.4.17 with the USB bits compiled as
modules.

I have also changed to using CUPS from Woody. Although it is not a
dependency I found that usbutils helped as well.

CUPS and the latest gs seems to send the correct string that wakes up the 880
on the USB port.

If I can help further give me a shout.

Roland