On Tue, Jan 22, 2002 at 10:29:05AM -0500, Brian P. Flaherty wrote:

> I don't know if you can get JetAdmin for Linux, but I suggest looking
> at CUPS.  I have JetAdmin at work on Solaris and CUPS at home and they
> seem pretty similar to me.  When you say check the status of an HP
> printer, what do you mean?  Is it something more than a cron job
> grepping the result of 'lpstat -p printer'?

No, JetAdmin and CUPS/lp* do very different things.  Among other things,
JetAdmin and friends can communicate via SNMP to a networked printer,
allowing you to do fun things like reboot it or query paper status and
things like that.  CUPS/lp* only handle local queue stuff.  They don't
do much talking to printers beyond sending jobs to them.

noah