On Fri, Feb 08, 2002 at 08:56:32AM +0000, Albert Einstein wrote:
> I've just compiled ALSA modules with a 2.4.17 kernel for a Intel 8x0
> soundcar. I've used alsaconf for configuring these modules, I've used
> alsamixer for opening the sound channel and I've stored the configuration
> with alsactl. The ALSA modules are loaded as lsmod shows
> (snd-card-intel8x0, snd-pcm, snd-timer, snd-ac97-codec, snd, soundcore).
> However, when I run alsaplayer, I get the following error:
>
> ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:602:(snd_pcm_hw_open) SNDRV_PCM_IOCTL_PVERSION failed:
> Inappropriate ioctl for device
> snd_pcm_open: Inappropriate ioctl for device
> ERROR: failed to load output add-on. Exiting...

What version of the alsa-source package did you use? Alsaplayer
may be trying to use a different version of the alsa interface.

I found the best way to avoid alsa version problems was to use
alsa drivers with the OSS/Lite emulation interface, and use
/dev/sound/dsp for everything.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.

use, duplication and distribution.