* Shaun ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [020214 09:58]:
> I'm used to use Red Hat. All the ethernet drivers and etc were called
> /dev/eth*. In debian is this
> the same? All I see is /dev/gre*. does that mean that my NIC isnt being found
> by the kernel?

Are you using devfs? If not, the existence of device files in /dev does
not necessarily correlate to the devices configured by the kernel.

Is this a PCI or an ISA NIC? If it's PCI, you should see it listed when
you cat /proc/pci. What type of NIC is it? You might see something in
the output of dmesg (or watching the kernel messages as your machine
boots) saying something about it; for example I see

3c59x: Donald Becker and others. www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
00:0d.0: 3Com PCI 3c905B Cyclone 100baseTx at 0xd000. Vers LK1.1.16

For my 3Com card.

Once you have convinced yourself that the card is recognized by the
kernel, you'll probably need to know that debian's network configuration
stuff is in /etc/network. Of specific interest to you will be
/etc/network/interfaces. There's a manpage for it. Also feel free to ask
if you need help when you get to that stage.

good times,
Vineet

--
Currently seeking opportunities in the SF Bay Area
Please see http://www.doorstop.net/resume/