On Fri, Feb 15, 2002 at 11:10:47AM -0800, Vaughan, Curtis wrote:
| Twice now, I have experimented with upgrading from potato to woody.  Each
| time, however, I've experienced the exact same problem, which I can't seem
| to resolve.
|
| During the update you get a question basically like this:
|
| New modules are being installed for PCMCIA.  It is preferable that you shut
| down your NIC and restart after the new modules have been installed.  This
| is not required but if you don't shut your NIC down, then the kernel might
| freeze.  So, what you do want to do?
|
| This time I chose to shut it down.  I don't remember what I chose the other
| time.  Regardless, afterwards it never starts back up.
|
| Checking out /etc/init.d/pcmcia status I get the following result:
| cardmgr is stopped
|
| So how do I get it back up and running?

Try
    /etc/init.d/pcmcia start

Yesterday the woody pcmcia package changed.  After I upgraded (I was
logged in remotely, not a very smart idea), I had to eject and
reinsert the NIC and 'ifup eth0' (I had to force ifdown before I could
bring it back up).  Then I had no more problems.

-D

--

One man gives freely, yet gains even more;
another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty.