Sounds to me like you may have a problem with a gateway IP # being set up...at
least that's one possibility.  As an example, I have this problem on my
notebook; when my notebook is connected to the small network I have set up, I
use my desktop machine as a gateway (its IP).  But if I use the notebook
elsewhere (not network connected) and dial-up using its modem, then I have to
make sure that it has the gateway IP disabled.  If not, I get the same problem
that you are presently getting.

You mentioned you just reinstalled...so perhaps such a gateway address got
inadvertently entered in the setup process...

On 14-Feb-2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I just reinstalled Debian 2.2.r3 from disk, and now I can't get any internet
> programs to connect to the modem (which was working fine before). Mozilla
> gives "<web address> can't be found" error message and Lynx gives "unable to
> connect to remote host" error message. Modem never dials.
>
> - Pppconfig autodetects the modem on /dev/ttyS2, and the pppconfig file has
> been set to accept demand dialing;
> - setserial has the modem set to irq 5 (runs on boot);
> - the modem itself is jumpered to irq 5;
> - wvdialconf autodetects the modem on /dev/ttyS2;
> - wvdial actually works and connects the modem to the net, although PAP
> authentication seems to have trouble with the secrets file;
> - output on boot includes the following lines:
>
>         307      ?        S<     0:00     /usr/sbin/diald
>      Starting http cache proxy server:wwwoffled.
>      WWWOFFLE NOW IN AUTODIAL MODE.
>
> I've followed the instructions on /usr/doc/diald/README.Debian by
> configuring /etc/diald/connect and making a /dev/modem symlink to /dev/ttyS2.
> I've done everything I can think of that I did the first time around to get
> the
> system set up for internet access, but it isn't working.
>
> Changes to my system from the way I had it configured before:
>
> - I now use "debian" as my hostname instead of "localhost"
>
> - I now have parport and parport-autodetect compiled into kernel. Parport-
> autodetect finds my printer on irq 7, so there shouldn't be an irq conflict;
> however
>
> - syslog is giving the following messages:
>      insmod: /lib/modules/2.2.17/misc/lp.o: invalid parameter parm_irq
>      insmod: /lib/modules/2.2.17/misc/lp.o: insmod char-major-6 failed
>      modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-slot-0
>      modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module sound-service-0-3
> I don't know if this is related or is simply a separate problem. Right now I
> am
> more concerned with the modem than the printer or sound card. Sound card's
> presence didn't use to conflict with modem.
>
> Any help anyone could give me would be very much appreciated.
>
> Keith

Arlen Carlson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Celebrate Hannibal Day this year.  Take an elephant to lunch.

This message was sent by XFmail (Linux)

                        -o)
                        /\\
                       _\_v