On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 04:48:05PM +0100, Hans Gubitz wrote:

> There are no longer usernames on a single machine, but the UID's are ok.
> NIS ist still living. I can telnet to a third machine on our net where
> everything is fine.
>
> Which services is responsible for showing usernames?

It's looked up in the user database.  /etc/nsswitch.conf has an
effect on this, but it normally looks for the uid first in
/etc/passwd, then in the passwd.byuid NIS map.  NIS may be alive, but
it may not be working...  What does `ypcat passwd.byuid` say?

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss