hi ya

if you move all your config and isntall db files to known
directories..

and if you descipline yourself and your users to put data only
into /usr/local  or /home....  than you're all set...

just backup /etc and /home and /usr/local...
( everything else "should have been installed from cdrom" )

and if you wanna backup pending emails etc..etc..
        more stuff to look in /var/*...

- problem is people put stuff where they like...
- some packages still put stuff in what they consider the "right place"
  which may or may not be what you consider the "right place"

c ya
alvin
http://www.Linux-Backup.net

simplified deb backup should be something like:

        - save it
        - dpkg --get-selections * > /mnt/floppy/backup.pkg.lst
                - backup user tweeked files

        - build your new box from cdrom or floppy

        - restore it
        dpkg --set-selections < /mnt/floppy/backup.pkg.lst
        apt-get update
        apt-get dist-upgrade
                - restore your user tweeked files