begin  Dave Sherohman  quotation:

> Last I heard, xhost and X forwarding over ssh were unrelated.

Definitely; with ssh forwarding, your display actually seems to be on
a local port, so adding the ssh client machine to xhost is irrelevant.

> You
> only need one or the other, and I would recommend using the ssh
> solution, as xhost is rather easily exploitable.

Depends how much you trust the local network. If I'm running X across
the LAN either at home or at the office (we're a very small company),
I just use xhost, because I feel reasonably secure. Across the Internet
(sans VPN) or in a large company, I might prefer ssh forwarding.

I would also expect that not encrypting the traffic has some effect on
performance, though I have never actually tested this.

> (More practically,
> if you've got the spare CPU cycles available, you can have ssh
> compress the data stream, which is a Good Thing if you run into
> problems with the amount of network bandwidth used by your video
> stream.)

This depends on the network bandwidth available, as well as the CPU
power at hand. On a 100 Mb network, I would think that MPEG2 video is
unlikely to be a bandwidth problem unless you have many streams running
at once through the same segments or hubs.

Craig