On Sat, 2002-03-09 at 23:13, Sean 'Shaleh' Perry wrote:

> On 10-Mar-2002 Randolph S. Kahle wrote:
> > I have started reading details about Woody. (I am running Potato on all
> > of my machines with the 2.4 kernel).
> >
> > I was surprise to see that the 2.4 kernel is "optional". This leads me
> > to a fundamental question... What makes Woody different?
> >
> > Are there structure changes (layout, etc.) that are incompatible with
> > Potato? If not, why not just keep upgrading the packages.
> >

> 2.4 is the default though, you still have the choice of using 2.2.
>
> Woody is roughly 2 years worth of new code.  That is the big difference.  XFr
> ee 4.x not 3.3.x, etc.

So, instead of looking at Debian as a bunch of interesting packages
running on top of a kernel, I should view each release as a stable set
of packages that all are known to work together. And that to get a
release (such as Woody) ready for release this involves:

    * Release/Install processes, packages, and procedures are updated
    and stabilized.

    * New target kernel features are determined and stabilized

    * Packages are stabilized against the new target kernel feature
    set.

    * Bugs and incompatibilities resulting from packages working
    together are identified and fixed.

Is this a good way to view things?

Randy