FWIW,
I don't understand the confusion over this issue, I've seen this type of post before
with basically the same argument.
I'm an average windows end user trying to migrate to Linux (Debian, in particular) and
as I was installing software and X on my machine, the information provided by dselect
gave clear implication that xdm(gdm, wdm, etc.) provide a graphical login. If a person
is well-versed in command line usage and only needs a gui interface for web browsing
then it seems that it would be easier to write a script or something that prompts the
user to select which type of login they want than to install something that blatantly
says it will give you a gui login.

mw