On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 08:58:41AM -0600, Juan dominguez wrote:
| Hello everybody
|
| I have installed debian 3.0 in my PC. After that I
| recompiled the kernel (version 2.4.4). The network
| interface module  is part of the kernel.  I have a
| network interface working successfull, but I want to
| install another one. I edited the
| /etc/network/interface file and add the eth1
| configuration but it doesn't work, I have done
| everything it says in the multiple ethernet howto, but
| it doesn't work either.
| Any suggestions
| I appreciated your help, thank a lot

Here's what works on my machine :

/boot/config-2.4.20-custom.2 :
CONFIG_TULIP=m

    (I happen to have the driver as a module right now, it isn't
    necessary though)

/etc/modutils/Local-dman :
alias eth0 tulip
options eth0 io=0xdc00 irq=9

alias eth1 tulip
options eth1 io=0xde00 irq=11

    (I specify the IO and IRQ so that
        1) I can control which card is eth0 and which is eth1
        2) I can ensure that they use different IRQs (for performance)
    )

/etc/network/interfaces :
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
    address 129.21.148.216
    netmask 255.255.255.128
    gateway 129.21.148.254

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet dhcp
    # only try DHCP if there is a physical link
    pre-up /usr/local/sbin/check-link.sh eth1

    up echo 1 >> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth1/rp_filter
    up route del default gw 192.168.0.2

    (The interfaces file is more-or-less correct.  At one time I did
    use both NICs in the machine, but right now it is only on one
    network.  Some of the clauses have changed due to changing
    networks but the other is just commented out since it isn't being
    used.)

HTH,
-D

--
"...Deep Hack Mode--that mysterious and frightening state of
consciousness where Mortal Users fear to tread."

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/