On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 12:29:20PM +0200, Alexander Koch wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have tried to install kernel 2.5.7 and am trying to use
> ALSA here. I have a Creative Vibra 16C (SB compatible). Now
> with all the modules I was just saying 'modprobe snd-sb16'
> and it was loading the modules just fine without any
> problems, looks really nice. (I have devfs enabled, too)

Have you given modconf a try?  It makes module selection and loading
trivial.

> Now... no /dev/dsp is there.

This sounds more like a devfs problem than an ALSA one.  Is there a
/dev/sound/dsp device?  If so, then the problem is you're not running
devfsd, which is required to create symlinks from the legacy
devices(/dev/dsp) to the new ones (/dev/sound/dsp).  apt-get install
devfsd, and see if that helps.

> Can anyone please advise what I am to do or what 'the debian
> way' is here? Should I install the alsa-base or stuff? Do I
> still need alsa-source or any such things?

AFAIK, 2.5.7 has ALSA built in, so you won't need to install
alsa-source.  You will need some of the other packages, since they
provide the userland tools like mixers and company.

-rob

--
I did not vote for the Australian government.