ben wrote:

> so that e2fsck on an unmounted partition is okay? but to check a mounted
> partition it should be efsck? or what?
>
> sorry, i haven't been following the thread. i'm not sure if it matters but
> since using the 2.4.17 kernel on my machine , crashes nessecitating the check
> haven't happened, at all.

Umm no...

First off, "fsck" just calls the appropriate filesystem-specific
program, which happens to be "e2fsck" for most of us. I've never heard
of efsck... possible typo?

Second, You always want to fsck unmounted partitions only. If nothing
else, trying to fsck a mounted partition produces the following message:

"WARNING!!!  Running e2fsck on a mounted filesystem may cause
 SEVERE filesystem damage."

Mr. Ts'o (the guy who wrote a large portion of the ext2 stuff in Linux)
knows much more about filesystems in general, and ext2 in particular,
than I do, so I listen to that error message.

Finally, It's not just crashes that will cause the system to run an fsck
at boot time. There's a mount counter that will automatically fsck after
so many reboots (or was it mounts?). I recall the number being set to
20. You can also force checking upon reboot by supplying the "-F" option
to the shutdown command.

--Rich