Hello fellow Debian fans--

I've been trying to listen to music on my computer, which meant I had to
install ALSA suport for my driver, which meant I had to update my kernel
from the 2.2.20 that's the default with Woody.  The kernel package I'm
trying to install is 2.4.16-k7, which is appropriate for my hardware.  I
can get and install the package without incident, and everything appears
to be configured as it should be a whole slew of:

modprobe: cannot locate dependencies file
/lib/modules/2.4.16-k7/modules.dep--no such file or directory.

Then a short message about attempting to kill init, and kernel panic.

What's especially strange about this is that when I rescue-boot the
system, the /lib/modules/2.4.16-k7/ directory appears completely normal,
and the modules.dep file exists and isn't empty. So I'm stumped--any
ideas?

P.S. How do I restore the original kernel? Simply removing the newer
kernel package w/ dselect doesn't seem to work.

Jesse S. Bangs [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://students.washington.edu/jaspax/
http://students.washington.edu/jaspax/blog

Jesus asked them, "Who do you say that I am?"

And they answered, "You are the eschatological manifestation of the ground
of our being, the kerygma in which we find the ultimate meaning of our
interpersonal relationship."

And Jesus said, "What?"