I'm getting into this discussion late.  Slackware 8 is extremely easy to
install and configure off the CD set.  It's the best example of generic
Linux from my config point of view.  I did have some issue with
partitioning the disk with lots of partitions which I favor.

On the other hand Debian appears easier to maintain and upgrade, but I'm
only guessing here because I'm still having install problems.  I want to
do some work on the LEAF project using a virtual environment and that's
being done on Debian hosts, so I figured I'd give Debian another try.

--
Sincerely,

David Smead
http://www.amplepower.com.