W liście z śro, 24-04-2002, godz. 20:50, Bob Thibodeau pisze:
> On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 05:27:17PM +0200, Grzegorz Prokopski wrote:
> > Hi all!
> > The first set is sth. that can now be forgotten.
> >
> > The second set has been uploaded lately. The source package is
> > called just "firebird" - the set of resulting binaries it the same.
> > These packages are also availabe from http://debian.sente.pl/
> > and are the ones that should be tested.
> >
> Which debs do I need to test? I'm an interbase newbie, but I'm
> very interested in a cross-platform free database for a
> volunteer project.

Thank you for your answer.

There are 4 (from client standpoint equal) binary packages:

firebird-c32-server_1.0.0-3_i386.deb
firebird-s32-server_1.0.0-3_i386.deb
firebird-c64-server_1.0.0-3_i386.deb
firebird-s64-server_1.0.0-3_i386.deb

32/64 means if it is compiled with 32bin I/O or 64bin I/O.
On older, but more stable kernels (2.2.X) there's only 32bit I/O
available (2GB single database file limit applies). On newer -
one cane use both 32 and 64 bit I/O versions.

'c' and 's' in the name stand for 'classic' and 'super' architecture.

Classic - there's new process started for every client, inetd is used
to start new processes. Scales better as it allows the distriubution
of processes on different processors (on SMP machines), but it needs
more memory.

Super - there's new thread started for every client, no inetd needed
as it has it's daemon. Uses only one CPU, but also uses less memory.

So any you pick - it should work. You can find further information on
firebird site and in mailing lists archives.

http://firebird.sourceforge.net/

Best regards

                                        Grzegorz Prokopski

PS: Bob, I decided to Cc: the list as the others can have the same
dilema as You. I hope You'd have nothing against it.