On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 04:57:26PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
| begin dman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
| > On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 03:10:47PM -0700, David Smead wrote:
| > |
| > | I'm apparently missing a driver.
| > |
| > | knuth:~# lpq
| >
| > | -----------------
| > |
| > | knuth:~# ls -l /dev/lp0
| > | crw-rw----    1 root     lp         6,   0 Jun 13  2001 /dev/lp0
| >
| > This is meaningless.  (well, all it means is you have an inode named
| > "lp0".  You've got lots of inodes in /dev that you don't have hardware
| > for)
|
| meaningless?

    "Linux doesn't see my SCSI disk, but look - /dev/sda1 is there."

    Actually, the machine has no SCSI disks or controllers.  The
    presence of the device file has no bearing on the matter.

| the major and minor numbers are correct.

Ok, that is something worth verifying.

| the kernel certainly knows what major number 6 is.  the parport
| driver (if present) knows what minor number 0 is.
|
| doesn't matter what you call the *file*.  it's the major and minor
| numbers which matter.
|
| > If you use devfs this becomes meaningful (the file won't exist
| > unless the device and driver do).
|
| maybe.  maybe not.

# lsmod | grep lp
lp                      6208   0

# ls -l /dev/printers/0 /dev/lp0
crw-rw----    1 root     lp         6,   0 Dec 31  1969 /dev/printers/0
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           10 Apr 18 23:18 /dev/lp0 -> printers/0

# rmmod lp
# cd /lib/modules/2.4.18-custom.3/kernel/drivers/char/
# mv lp.o NOT-lp.o   # (otherwise the kernel automatically loads it)

# ls -l /dev/printers/0 /dev/lp0
ls: /dev/printers/0: No such file or directory
ls: /dev/lp0: No such file or directory

The device files exist when I have the driver loaded, and don't exist
when I don't.  That is why I said listing the file is meaningful only
when using devfs.

| depends on how devfsd is configured, doesn't it?

Yeah, if you configure devfsd wrong and/or check the wrong file :-).

-D

--

Consider what God has done:
    Who can straighten what He has made crooked?