On 29 Apr 2002 22:09:52 -0500
Shyamal Prasad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ......Do a 'modprobe driver' (less the .o) and see if things work. If
> it does, add that module name to /etc/modules so it works
> automagically the next time you boot.
>
> If this is the wrong track I'm leading you down, at least tell us more
> about your machine and what exactly is happening. I really don't want
> to be patronizing (honestly), but saying that "you played around for a
> little while but could not get it to work" makes is very hard for
> people to help you out.
>
> Apologies if I'm way off, but hey, I've got next to nothing to work
> with!

Yep, I read your message and "patronizing" was exactly the word that
sprnag to mind, however I want it fixed so I worked through the message
again, and as a result of what you said, I have fixed it, so I guess
"patronizing" was what was required. Thanks

The solution was to place aha152x in the /etc/modules file. Now, what I
do not understand is why that line was not required in /etc/modules for
it to be recognised under 2.2.20, but was needed in 2.4.18. My problem
is no longer the machine not working, but me not understanding. Can
someone explain the variable treatment of /etc/modules between 2.2.20
and 2.4.18?